Biography and Interests:
Peter White’s research has explored various aspects of the relationship between Roman social life and literary production, including social networks, book dedications, booksellers, and poetry contests. He is currently preparing a commentary on books 5-9 of Augustine’s Confessions.
- Cicero in Letters: Epistolary Relations of the Late Republic (Oxford and New York, 2010).
- Promised Verse: Poets in the Society of Augustan Rome (Cambridge, Mass., 1993).
- "Ovid and the Augustan Milieu," in Brill's Companion to Ovid, ed. B. W. Boyd (Leiden, 2002), pp. 1-25.
- "Tactics in Caesar's Correspondence with Cicero," in Caesar Against Liberty?: Papers of the Langford Latin Seminar 11 (2003): pp. 68-95.
- "Poets in a Changed Regime: Realigning," in Cambridge Companion to the Age of Augustus, ed. G. K. Galinsky (Cambridge, 2005), pp. 321-39 .
- "Friendship, Patronage, and Horatian Sociopoetics," in Cambridge Companion to Horace, ed. S. K. Harrison (Cambridge, 2007), pp. 195-206.
- "Bookshops in the Literary Culture of Rome," in Ancient Literacies: The Culture of Reading in Greece and Rome, ed. W. A. Johnson and H. N. Parker (Oxford, 2009), pp. 268-287.
- Intermediate Latin
- Human Being and Citizen
- Augustine’ Confessions
- Cicero’s Orations
- Latin Literature Survey III
- Accelerated Introductory Latin
- Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy