Christopher A. Faraone
Biography and Interests:
Christopher Athanasious Faraone
I am finishing a book on ancient Greek amulets and beginning two others: one entitled The Play of Ritual Genres in Homeric Epic and another on the catalogues in the Hesiodic Theogony.
- Vanishing Acts: Deletio Morbi as Speech Act and Visual Design on Ancient Greek Amulets, Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies Supplement 115 (London, 2013).
- (with Dirk Obbink), The Getty Hexameters: Poetry, Magic and Mystery in Ancient Greek Selinous (Oxford 2013).
- The Stanzaic Architecture of Archaic Greek Elegy (Oxford University Press 2008).
- “Inscribed Greek Thunderstones as House- and Body-Amulets in Roman Imperial Times,” Kernos (forthcoming 2014).
- “The Poetics of Catalogues in the Hesiodic Theogony,” Transactions of the American Philological Association 143 (2013) 293-323.
- “The Amuletic Design of the Mithraic Bull-Wounding Scene,” Journal of Roman Studies (2013) 1-21.
- “Muses and Titans: How the Hesiodic Poets Individuate Deities and Divine Agency in the Theogony,” Archiv für Religionsgeschichte 10 (2012) 37-49.
- “The Stanzaic Architecture of Isidorus, Hymns 2 and 4 (SEG 8.549 and 51),” Classical Quarterly 62 (2012) 618-32.
- “Curses, Crime Detection and Conflict Resolution at the Festival of Demeter Thesmophoros,” Journal of Hellenic Studies 131 (2011) 25-44.
- “Magical and Medical Approaches to the Wandering Womb in the Ancient Greek World,” Classical Antiquity 30 (2011) 1-32.
- “An Athenian Tradition of Dactylic Paeans to Apollo and Asclepius: Choral Degeneration or a Flexible System of Non-Strophic Dactyls?” Mnemosyne 64 (2011) 206-31.
- “Health and Healing in Ancient Greek Rituals and Thought” (with James Redfield)
- “Eros in Archaic and Classical Greece” (with James Redfield)
- “Ancient Greek Hymns” (3x)
- “Greek and North Semitic Religious Inscriptions” (with D. Pardee, Oriental Institute)
- “Text, Image and the Representation of Ritual” (with Gloria Pinney and Laura Slatkin)
- “Ancient Hebrew and Greek Wisdom Literature” (with John Collins and Laura Slatkin)
- “Ancient Greek Magic”
- “The Homeric Hymns” (with James Redfield and Bruce Lincoln)
- “Hesiod Theogony” (with Bruce Lincoln)
- “The Greek Magical Papyri” (with Hans Dieter Betz)
- “Oracles and Divination in the Ancient World” (with Bruce Lincoln)
- “Greek Religion in its Historical Context” (with Jonathan M. Hall)
- “Orphism” (with David Martinez)
- Study Abroad Program in Rome
- Intermediate Greek
- Health and Healing in the Ancient World
- Greek Thought and Literature
- The Religions of Greco-Roman Egypt
- Greek Poetry Survey
- Study Abroad Program in Barcelona
- Greek Elegy